Eurovision 2012: Semi Final One winners

By David Knox on May 25, 2012 / Filed Under News 11

Good evening, Baku you look fabulous tonight!

And here are the first ten songs to qualify for the Eurovision Final 2012.

ROMANIA
Mandinga “Zaleilah”
YouTube Preview Image

MOLDOVA
Pasha Parfeny “Lăutar”
YouTube Preview Image

ICELAND
Gréta Salóme & Jónsi “Never Forget”
YouTube Preview Image

HUNGARY
Compact Disco “Sound of Our Hearts
YouTube Preview Image

DENMARK
Soluna Samay “Should’ve Known Better”
YouTube Preview Image

ALBANIA
Rona Nishliu “Suus”
YouTube Preview Image

CYPRUS
Ivi Adamou “La La Love”
YouTube Preview Image

GREECE
Eleftheria Eleftheriou “Aphrodisiac”
YouTube Preview Image

RUSSIA
Buranovskiye Babushki “Party for Everybody”
YouTube Preview Image

IRELAND
Jedward “Waterline”
YouTube Preview Image

They join United Kingdom, Spain, Germany, Italy, France and Azerbaijan which have already qualified. Ten more acts from Semi Final Two will be added to the list.

Missing out were:

MONTENEGRO
LATVIA
SWITZERLAND
BELGIUM
FINLAND
ISRAEL
SAN MARINO
AUSTRIA

Sorry guys!

I reckon Europe pretty much got this right. I mean Austria, San Marino, Montenegro -what were you thinking? Maybe Israel instead of Moldova, but that’s about it.

Semi Final Two airs on Saturday night at 8:30pm following The Road to Eurovision with Julia Zemiro, a surprise package of pop history.

By Sunday morning Australian time the winner will have been declared in Baku so you should avoid news, online, Twitter etc. Beware of the 6pm news too, they are bound to give it away.  Even if you are using Twitter while the show is on you are at risk of stumbling upon the winner before you realise it….

TV Tonight will not be publishing any results until the winner is declared AEST -take note SA, NT and WA.

In fact on Sunday NO COMMENTS will be approved throughout the day -I don’t wanna be spoiled either!

David Knox blogs Eurovision at sbs.com.au (very cool interactive site if I do say so).

1. kenyirol158 May 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm -

I liked the Facebook song

2. Andrew May 26, 2012 at 6:04 pm -

@Ben H: You may be right as I’d forgotten that they do often put in ‘placeholders’ for the voting numbers during each song. I guess we’ll see when the DVD comes out :)

And I’ll be trying to be up at 5am tomorrow for the webcast so to not have to avoid spoilers for the rest of the day. And I’ll then be watching the delayed telecast on SBS to find out what bits they’ve cut out :)

3. Ben H May 26, 2012 at 5:39 pm -

Andrew, I think they are simply covering the local voting numbers on the feed with the Twitter / Website plugs.

4. ThrillHo May 26, 2012 at 10:09 am -

I sort of wanted Ireland to miss out just to see the disappointment on Jedward’s smug, bratty faces. They both need a good, hard slap.

What, too harsh?

5. Ebony Loves Eurovision May 26, 2012 at 9:19 am -

I thought it was brave of Israel to bring Kramer out of exile, but their song didn’t do it for me.

There is also a special place in my heart for Moldova, so I’m glad they got through.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to shatter proof the windows in anticipation of Albania turning it up to 11 on Sunday night.

6. ohdenny May 26, 2012 at 8:07 am -

I liked the Facebook song haha

7. alchemist May 26, 2012 at 7:55 am -

SBS should really start airing this live for the diehard fans and encore it at prime time. It’s not like they’ve got anything better on at 5AM (although people can still watch it live on the official eurovision website).

8. Andrew May 26, 2012 at 4:04 am -

Thanks for the recap. I watched all of the performances and then promptly dozed off just before they announced the finalists… good effort, me!

But looking at the results above I think the best ones got through. I mean, who couldn’t love those Russian nanas?

The woman from Albania has an incredible voice. And to put some context into her performance (and I can’t recall if Julia/Sam mentioned it), Tuesday when the semi-final took place was a national day of mourning in Albania following the death of a dozen students in a bus crash. It may have made her performance even the more emotional.

The first semi-final was therefore not expected to have been telecast in Albania and only jury votes were taken from that country.

On a side note, I was getting very annoyed at SBS’ constant plugging of their website/twitter/facebook addresses during the broadcast. Was it really necessary during every song? The Twitter comments over the postcards I thought was a distraction too but was not as grating as the intrusive and repetitive plugs for the SBS websites.

9. Maev....Sydney May 26, 2012 at 1:46 am -

And newsbreaks…I got ‘spoiled’ one year..that way….
    I like the song from Ireland…

10. J Bar May 25, 2012 at 11:35 pm -

Switzerland got ripped-off and Finland was better than Albania or Belgium.

11. Kirk May 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm -

Overall I thought the right winners got through. Loved Albania, Ireland and of course the Russian grandmas!!!