Returning: Downton Abbey

By David Knox on May 10, 2012 / Filed Under Programming, Top Stories 14

Well that Hot Tip turned out to be spot on.

Downton Abbey finally returns to Seven at 8:30pm Sunday May 20th.

Looking forward to this, given it aired in the UK in September.

It should shake up the numbers for Seven, with The Voice currently dominating our ratings.

Now the next question will be if we get Season Three later this year. You would think by the way they have held off that it’s the plan to launch it post Olympics.

1. Bronte June 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm -

“Downton Abbey” is a winner. I wish ABC would buy these quality programs and air them sooner, and not waste money doing stupid comedy shows that hardly anyone watches. Plus tedious documentaries about whatever is politically correct this week

2. Les Solomon May 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm -

Even my older friends who never watch DVD sets have seen it, my prediction is the ratings will be well down because so many people have seen season two and two and a half (the Xmas episode, which 7 will clearly show at the end of the second) The series has even been shown in NZ where i saw season two and Xmas ep readily available in JB Hi Fi in Auckland the other day. When are free to air channels in this country going to learn that the days of sitting on new episodes for six months or more are over, we live in a global village , where if someone wants to follow a fav series they arent going to wait till its eventually dragged out on free to air, But I also add I couldnt think of anything worse than watching this series with commercials, it would kill it. Even Ten with its dodgy programming behaviour gets “Glee” and many others within a few days of their American screening and movies in the theatres are here usually the day before America these days (even earlier)> We arent an isolated island any more guys., Get with the programme.!!!

3. Guy May 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm -

@Brad

Here is that argument yet again about “I have bought it already or I have acquired it another way”! You are in the minority. Not many people actually do that. The majority of people wait it out. Sorry but I just am over this argument that the show will fail because it aired months ago. The same for Once Upon a Time. People are saying Fail because it’s been so long. Sorry but I don’t buy it. If a show is good enough it will rate accordingly.

4. stevie g May 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm -

Well I’m another who loves this show, but hasn’t seen it yet. Great to have a good show for the colder months.One question did it premier about the same time last year or did we get it a bit earlier in 2011?

5. nik c May 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm -

Another reason David why this blog deserves the Win! Hot tip indeed! Well Done
    @ Brad Maybe it is just me, but I can’t be bothered downloading shows

6. roaringdave May 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm -

@ Brad : You are joking right? You really think everyone who would watch this on TV has bought the box set? So that would be like 1.2 million box sets sold? I don’t think 7 are going to program their shows based on your circle of friends. (BTW, I don’t watch this but my mind just boggled at this comment).

7. Rayne May 10, 2012 at 11:58 am -

I don’t buy DVDs. Once I have seen something that is it I don’t really want to see it again. I prefer to watch online mainly to catch up on episodes I have missed due to programming clashes or dodgy reception.
    So I am happy to watch/record fta tv when it airs, as Jennome says I am not “wedded to the tv” lol :)

8. deedeedragons May 10, 2012 at 11:38 am -

Zzzzzzzzz. Already brought season 2 for Mother’s Day.

9. Maverick May 10, 2012 at 11:31 am -

Can’t wait for this. Loved season 1.

10. Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 11:27 am -

a good slot, easy competition. i’d say a lot of people that have alreadyt seen it will watch it again, i’ve watched season 1 a few times, still good viewing.

11. Jennome May 10, 2012 at 11:26 am -

At last, something decent to watch on Sunday nights.

Like A. I’m not so wedded to the TV set that I just have to see the latest series the minute it airs elsewhere, I’m quite content to wait for it to pop up here. Otherwise you spend your life chasing all these programs, with the result you’ve seen just about everything on TV when it airs here, so you have to keep chasing. And so on.

What a waste of time.

12. A. May 10, 2012 at 10:16 am -

@ Brad

I haven’t seen it yet. I think I’m more typical in this case of viewers out there that’ll watch it when it airs on TV rather than go out of their way to get it on DVD or online. Especially probably this series and those that might be watching which I suspect might be the older audience. So less tech savy. I do want to say not all of them are ignorant of the internet and other options. It’s just the people that know and care about it are rarer.

13. A. May 10, 2012 at 10:04 am -

Heh. Good guess David. Congratulations! I look forward to it. Hoping it will be treated well.

14. Brad May 10, 2012 at 10:03 am -

About time! However, I’m positive the ratings will be well down this year due to the delay. Between the few of us who have bought season 2 on DVD from the uk, I don’t know anyone who watches it who hasn’t seen the second series yet!!!
    Hopefully channel 7 realise that this is the issue and remedy this by fast-tracking season 3!!!