Sydney nabs ARIA Awards for next 3 years

By David Knox on May 8, 2012 / Filed Under News 0

The ARIA Awards will be staying in Sydney for the next three years.

Under a new deal announced by ARIA and the NSW Government, Sydney will also play host to a program of events leading into the awards.

“Sydney has been the spiritual home of the ARIAs since way back in 1987, when Australian music royalty including John Farnham and a young INXS swept the inaugural ARIA Awards ceremony held at the Sheraton Wentworth Sydney,” says ARIA CEO Dan Rose.

“Since that night the ARIAs have become Australian music’s night of nights, as artists, the industry and music fans come together to celebrate the very best our music scene has to offer. We are excited to partner with NSW Government to continue to build on this amazing history and start the next era of the ARIAs.”

ARIA Chairman Denis Handlin said, “We very much appreciate the great support from Premier O’Farrell and Destination NSW. We look forward to hosting the ARIAs in Sydney for a further three years as well as establishing a series of exciting new events to further develop our industry and extend the reach of the ARIAs.

Premier Barry O’Farrell added, “The agreement clearly focuses on expansion opportunities in the week leading up to the ARIA Awards. The aim is to increase interstate and international visitation, industry growth and to strengthen the profile of Sydney’s position as a creative capital of music in Australia.”

Last year’s awards nearly went without a TV broadcast until GO! came to the rescue at the last minute.

Details of the 2012 event will be made in coming weeks.

Leave A Response »

You must be logged in to post a comment.