WIN Gold launches on Channel 84

By David Knox on May 1, 2012 / Filed Under News 25

The WIN Network today launches WIN GOLD on Channel 84 in regional Australia.

As with TV4ME and Extra the datacasting channel will consist mostly of branded content including home shopping, education, lifestyle plus community programming.

“This unique channel is a further expansion of WIN’s sizeable Australian broadcast footprint and it reaffirms our position as Australia’s largest television network. WIN GOLD adds to the network’s viewer offer providing a point of difference and choice for viewers in regional areas,’ said Andrew Lancaster, Chief Executive Officer, WIN Corporation.

“WIN GOLD is a further demonstration of the flexibility and opportunity digital television gives to Australians. The WIN Network will continue to look for further opportunities to utilise new technologies in meeting our viewers’ needs.”

Viewers with questions about Digital TV should refer to the digitalready.gov.au website.

1. CasperSavannahCat July 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm -

I think that the ACMA Should allocate more bandwidth In areas such as regional Victoria where the digital switchover has already taken place, I’d like to see all the HD channels such as Win, Prime & Ten Mildura come back & a dedicated channel set aside for community TV in regional areas.

2. H June 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm -

Just what we need, more advertising!!!!!!

3. scout5602 May 4, 2012 at 3:23 am -

SHame SHame
    really bad quality hope your not charging your customers its poor quality actually hurts my eyes and my tv is brand new… youtube is better!

4. npstanley55 May 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm -

Win Gold is a complete waste of a Channel they should use the channel to re-screen old TV Series and Movies instead of this home shopping rubbish nobody will watch this station

5. David Knox May 2, 2012 at 8:52 am -

3 channels max.

6. Rob May 2, 2012 at 3:02 am -

PS: Also turned this channel on and noticed how bad the quality of the video is.. Surely they could have chosen a better name than GOLD…

7. Rob May 2, 2012 at 3:00 am -

So David, just to clarify, you are saying that the networks are allowed 1 extra channels for movies/drama?? I was under the impression that the commercial networks were only allowed 2 SD and 1 HD channels..

8. David Knox May 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm -

Channel does not attract ratings.

9. cglenn1988 May 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm -

This channel will rate through the roof, thrashing everyone else with 3 million viewers for the Ah Bra infomercial…………… Not!

It might get some revenue but not a channel that is worth watching. Well Done to Win for giving viewers more choice but I’m sorry its a case of better luck next time as my share of primetime viewing for this channel will be 0%.

10. Velocitor May 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm -

What is this rubbish. All i have seen on this channel so far is home shopping. It is not even a decent picture and is out of sink. ‘Gold’ more like dirt

11. David Knox May 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm -

To be clear, they are licensed to broadcast on a fourth channel with drama, movies etc. It is a datatcasting channel and limited in what can be covered.

12. alistair May 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm -

What a waste its all full of adds.why cant they give us a movie channel or an adventure channel something we would watch . Just a cheap money earner for bruce gorden.

13. Max Renn May 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm -

Gold? More like tin.

14. Bella May 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm -

Just picked it up here in Perth on channel 94. I agree the watermark is huge and there is on EPG. Another waste of a channel.

15. tomothyd May 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm -

Just checked out the channel, and the picture quality is horrendous, I don’t know how they could even allow this quality of image go to air.
    The “watermark” is in gold and it is massive, I’ve never seen a watermark that big. Plus because of the picture quality, you can barely read the word WIN in the logo.
    I have a 55″ TV, and the “watermark” is 22cm long and 8cm high. – Yes I actually measured it.
    Luckily its a channel which no one will watch, otherwise WIN would get some complaints.

16. ph May 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm -

All I have done is to delete this channel from my TV as with TV4. Simple.

17. Jason D. May 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm -

Unsurprisingly, there wasn’t much information available at all in the lead-up to the channel launch. I was hoping for something better, an Olympics channel, or perhaps programming from the archives. A perfect excuse to bring back the likes of Bob Morrison or Burke’s Backyard. But we’re left with another infomercial channel that is hardly worthy of bronze, let alone gold. If only people could stop buying stuff from TV.

18. Kenny May 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm -

@Josh777 – You’re missing nothing. The picture quality is about fifth generation VHS.

19. Jason S May 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm -

Wow, love how WIN make this channel sound so exciting. At least we aren’t paying for it…

20. Josh777 May 1, 2012 at 11:50 am -

In Griffith M.I.A., the only area in the entire country where all commercial channels are owned by WIN Network, we don’t get WIN GOLD. How ironic…

21. pietro May 1, 2012 at 11:09 am -

Just what we need. Even less bandwidth for the Olympics on GEM. Just imagine the artifacts in the Opening Ceremony.

22. Kenny May 1, 2012 at 10:49 am -

What “community programming”? Just endless half-hours for “exercise” machines, steam mops, turbo-ovens, bras, etc., etc.
    “a further demonstration of the flexibility and opportunity digital television gives to Australians.”. Oh spare me. If this is the future for digital tv as WIN sees it then there is no hope for us. Maybe they should visit NZ where there are local channels operating on miniscule budgets airing international programming not seen here. Media-7 Nelson, Triangle TV, CTV Christchurch. Where’s the initiative in these 74, 84, 94 channels? Just money-making machines with absolutely no entertainment or educational value to viewers.

23. AJfromthegong May 1, 2012 at 10:38 am -

Sorry, what?!? “Unique”?!? You’re kidding right?

24. stilesy May 1, 2012 at 9:26 am -

ZZZZZ.

25. tomothyd May 1, 2012 at 8:27 am -

Here in Adelaide we also get it in Metro areas on Channel 94.
    I don’t see much ‘Gold’ in the content on this channel, as with TV4ME, I doubt I’ll be watching this either. The font is also very similar to the GEM font.