Seven’s troll-busting stunt beaten by Nine in Sydney & Melbourne

By David Knox on October 24, 2012 / Filed Under News 28

Seven’s ploy with Charlotte Dawson troll-busting did not win at 6pm in Sydney or Melbourne, beaten by Nine News.

In the story, Dawson confronted young Twitter users who had sent her abusive tweets, questioning them as to their online behaviour. In a report yesterday Dawson said she did the report for “closure” and acknowledged in the story that she exposes social media trolls. There are reports a private detective was also used to track down some of the interview subjects (Lifeline: 13 11 14).

Seven News did win in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth but not the two biggest markets.

Seven Network won on Tuesday 32.4% then Nine 26.7%, ABC 17.5%, TEN 17.3% and SBS 6.2%.

The X Factor was 1.44m for Seven then Winners and Losers (1.11m), Seven News (1.1m), Today Tonight (982,000), Home and Away (946,000), Grey’s Anatomy (555,000), Deal or No Deal (460,000) and Smash (220,000).

The Big Bang Theory topped Nine with 1.2m / 901,000 for Nine then Nine News (1.00m), Big Brother (916,000), ACA (888,000), 2 Broke Girls (819,000), Two and a Half Men (702,000), Hot Seat (567,000), Mike and Molly (467,000) and Survivor (246,000).

ABC News won at 7pm with 1.03m for ABC1 followed by 7:30 (802,000), Foreign Correspondent (589,000), Life at 7 (523,000), Qi (493,000), Time Team (256,000) and Artscape (238,000).

NCIS was best for TEN on 632,000. TEN News was 596,000, Modern Family was 577,000, NCIS: LA was 450,000, The Project 6pm was 348,000 and I Will Survive ended on a lowly 321,000.

Who Do You Think You Are? pulled 305,000 for SBS ONE then Insight (211,000), Dateline (157,000) and World News Australia (148,000).

Neighbours topped multichannels with 243,000

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Corrected.

1. Riga October 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm -

I can’t comment on the story subject because I never watch commercial TV’s so-called ‘news’ but it’s reassuring to read that so many posters realise that commercial TV ‘news’ is merely excrement – excrement rolled in glitter – but none-the-less still excrement! No amount of live crosses to reporters standing in empty streets (hours after the event!), snappy graphics or use of the word “emotional” can substitute for the integrity of professional journalism.

To put it bluntly, commercial TV ‘news & current affairs’ is an insult to anyone with more than half a brain!

2. Trix October 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm -

Amen, @blindowl.

3. steviep October 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm -

@Benji77 – because channel 7 do it doesnt make it right, does it?

4. J Bar October 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm -

@Mr J, it seems that other piece of excrement, A Current Affair. is simply used as a promotional vehicle or sawyer of opinion for Nine. Meanwhile, in the interest of balance, I must note how Nine News has also morphed into A Current Affair, with it’s style of investigative reporting and use of product placements like Smart TVs last night.

5. Kenny October 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm -

I think that photo is highly appropriate, considering it was taken from the actual “news” item.

6. Robert BA October 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm -

What an absolute pathetic excuse for a news story.

Channel 7 News you Tosser’s.

I get the real news from the like’s of ABC,SBS & Online.

7. Nate October 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm -

@ MuchoTB. It was a repeat just like New Girl earlier in the week. I think they were both caused by preemptions for the Presidential Debates.

8. emurray October 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm -

I, not by design, tuned into seven news (regional WA) and saw the Charlotte Dawson story. It in no way in the world should have passed any “news test” by all means a TT story but this certainly continues trend of news coming up with gimmicks which they promote for days. Having come from Sydney ads on Saturday what’s on Monday’s news. Along with the oft commented on live crosses which add nothing. I want news that is just that news. Your pic does represent the worst of the story.
    On another point well done to ten for persisting with “I will survive” to the end. It was a brave show but crippled by wrong timeslot.

9. Benji77 October 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm -

@steviep – Seven were using that part of footage in their news updates through out last night.

It made her appear to be screaming in tears at a guy in the street.

Was not what happened in the story?

10. Secret Squirrel October 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm -

“The things she should be closing are her “social media” accounts. ” – Kenny, exactly! Couldn’t have said it better. Had a quick look at her Twitter and she is certainly pretty active on there and clearly hasn’t read the sign about not feeding the trolls.

Y’know, if Dawson really was very distressed by the trolling she received, and this exercise has brought her some closure, then I suppose it was worth doing, but it didn’t need to be televised and it certainly wasn’t news.

Plus, I’m not sure that she achieved that much because I wouldn’t call a couple of effete and impudent snobs “trolls”, not real ones anyway. That’d be like referring to my cat as “the king of the jungle” or Seven News as “news”.

Only Brisbane showed any significant bump in the ratings over the two previous Tuesdays. The other capitals were either about the same or less.

11. GG October 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm -

Maybe there is a God after all.

People are finally waking up to the reality that what Seven calls “news” is really nothing more than what has already been so accurately described by earlier postings.

The figures are showing it – especially in Melbourne.

12. simmo3 October 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm -

yet another reason why I now watch ‘real news’ on the abc.

13. steviep October 24, 2012 at 11:52 am -

Usually i find your choice of photos in good humour and entertaining but that photo is a miss representation of the story and its content. I believe you are doing a complete injustice towards Dawson by using that photo. Terrible.

14. blindowl October 24, 2012 at 11:46 am -

Seven News 1.1, ABC 1.03, and Nine 1million. The ABC is now close to catching Seven, and I suspect will overtake it soon. The ABC actually report the news, not try and make it. They leave the investigative reporting to the current affairs programmes and then report the results. All the commercial channels would benefit from understanding from a news report means. Long live the ABC news

15. Rayne October 24, 2012 at 11:42 am -

@Kenny:”The things she should be closing are her “social media” accounts.”
    Amen! No one needs toxic people posting to those accounts. My husband and I have blocked and deleted so-called “friends” who caused nothing but trouble in our lives, and we are much happier for it

16. Jennome October 24, 2012 at 11:19 am -

So that’s supposed to be news. Well said J Bar!

17. MuchoTB October 24, 2012 at 11:15 am -

Was NCIS a new episode or a repeat? Either way those figures aren’t fantastic given its one of America’s highest ratings dramas yet seems to be ailing here. Third in its slot behind Winners and Losers and Chuck Lorre sitcoms

18. Mr. J October 24, 2012 at 11:15 am -

bit off track, but did anyone see ACA’s analysis of tv’s biggest hits & misses of 2012? so wrong. making out that House Husbands was a massive hit and Masterchef and Packed to the rafters were massive flops, no mention of Tricky business i see. Andrew Mercado and Di Butler were so obviously taken out of context.

19. kimbeth October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am -

That’s not ‘news’. Ch7 may be winning the ratings but their news service surely is going to tank more than ch10′s bulletin soon

20. Sanndy October 24, 2012 at 11:01 am -

@Kenny-couldn’t agree more with you.

21. Sanndy October 24, 2012 at 10:59 am -

7 News Melbourne have tried everything!! They just can’t win.
    Change presenter’s and the way you report stories.
    9 News Melbourne has the class!!

22. jezza the first original one October 24, 2012 at 10:58 am -

So glad I rarely watch fta comm news. It is brain rotting mush. There should be a huge warning before every bulletin…something like…”what you are about to watch is a complete load of turgid trash, regular viewing of this programme will turn you into a brainless zombie with no will to live”

23. Kenny October 24, 2012 at 10:54 am -

“Dawson said she did the report for “closure””. Such a new buzzword word thesedays, “closure”. The things she should be closing are her “social media” accounts. Put the time-wasting to better use. How much was everyone paid by 7 in this little “news” exercise? Glad I didn’t see it, since I don’t watch 7 News anymore.

24. David Knox October 24, 2012 at 10:45 am -

Thanks Denny. My bad.

25. Sam1112 October 24, 2012 at 10:43 am -

@ David, Correct me if I am wrong but NCIS (632,000) and Ten News (596,000) rated higher than Modern Family, then why are they left out.

@ J Bar, Today Tonight has always been a piece of excrement.

26. ohdenny October 24, 2012 at 10:42 am -

Eh? I thought NCIS was best for TEN with 632,000? Then TEN News at 5

I saw the ads for the “twitter trolls”, I rolled my eyes at the media and ignored it completely.

27. justin October 24, 2012 at 10:38 am -

I didn’t watch it because I have sense of taste. But from that screengrab I assume that since the ‘trolls’ she confronted allowed their faces to be shown, Channel 7 just paid these people to have Dawson yell at them for an awful piece of ‘news’.

28. J Bar October 24, 2012 at 10:27 am -

Why has Seven News morphed into Today Tonight, while Today Tonight has morphed into a piece of excrement?