Hamish & Andy win Sunday for Nine

By David Knox on November 12, 2012 / Filed Under News 19

Hamish and Andy‘s first trans-Tasman adventure for Nine topped Sunday night’s ratings. The show also topped the Demos, with the second instalment to come next week.

Seven didn’t have a full network schedule due to Telethon airing in Perth.

Nine Network won the night with 32.4% then Seven 29.0%, TEN 19.3%, ABC 14.8% and SBS 4.5%.

Hamish and Andy’s Caravan of Courage pulled 1.34m for Nine then 60 Minutes (1.25m), Nine News (1.2m), First Test Aus v Sth Africa: (809,000 / 558,000), The Cricket Show (560,000) but first run movie The Social Network has to settle for 535,000.

Seven News was 1.2m, then Sunday Night (1.03m), Bones (930,000), Border Security (839,000), Air Ways (775,000) and Killing Time (419,000 / 265,000) but not all shows aired in all cities. Telethon was 231,000.

Modern Family‘s repeat (811,000) outstripped its first-run episode (706,000). Homeland‘s two episodes were 739,000 / 671,000. Merlin was 555,000, TEN News was 386,000 and The Project was 320,000.

Michael Palin’s Brazil (851,000) and ABC News ( 800,000) both landed higher than Devil’s Dust (679,000) for ABC1. Compass was 246,000 and Auction Room was 183,000.

On SBS ONE it was Finding Life Beyond Earth (240,000), Medieval Fightbook (180,000) and World News Australia (158,000).

Escape to the Country was 267,000 on 7TWO.

Sunday 11 November 2012

1. joey69 November 12, 2012 at 9:39 pm -

@Secret Squirrel @Josh777 was trying to give some positive feedback to a TV network that is being kicked while on the floor. just think for a second all the people that are being affected by the slow demise of a once great network. all i can say is that i hope 10 get off the floor and slowly start to rebuild a core base of veiwers as it did many years ago. negativity just creates crap for other lowlifes to feed on. please be positive and lets hope 10 can get it,s act together so it can give some point of difference to the other 2 FTA networks.

2. msd November 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm -

I enjoyed Devil’s Dust and I’m looking forward to the finale tonight. I think it has suffered because the ABC has shown so many new Aussie dramas in quick succession over the past few months. We’re used to more time between big dramas and to a slower build up.

3. Pertinax November 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm -

The Social Network only got 535k. Guess that confirms that movies don’t rate at night anymore.

If the repeat of Modern Family out rates the new episode then Channel 10′s “fast-tracking” will save us theory is not looking good.

Presumably the drop in numbers for the second Homeland is people recording it because it wasn’t going to finish till 10:50pm.

Bones got its best numbers in a long time.

4. Cam Reed November 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm -

Personally I think TEN should have put Merlin on in the 7:30pm timeslot (especially now with Daylight Saving), Seven had Once Upon A Time at 7:30pm and it did well. Even when on 3 nights a week during the Olympics at 7:30pm it was getting 800,000 plus. Merlin could be that PG rated show for TEN that all the Family can sit down and watch together (like Once Upon A Time was).

5. Secret Squirrel November 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm -

Interesting to see that Homeland’s two eps are separated ratings-wise when they weren’t broadcast-wise. Ten cut the end credits from the first ep and the opening credits from the second, including the recap. That was annoying as each ep’s recap contains specific bits that are relevant to that ep.

I can only surmise that a prerequisite to work in a network programming dept must be that you don’t love television and that you despise your audience. That would certainly appear to be the case at Ten.

@Josh777 – I wouldn’t call those numbers for Homeland “brilliant”, but then you thought that 50,000 was enough for Ten to keep Breakfast so we’re obviously using different scales. Vegas is never going to get anywhere near Homeland’s ratings so you can stop dreaming.

If lots more young people watched history and science docos, SBS would “kill” Sunday nights in the demos. See, I can do it too.

6. daff2 November 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm -

Homeland was brillant last night. It is a shame that it does not get better numbers.

7. Ronnie November 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm -

The ABC must be a little disappointed with the figures for Devi’s Dust – it was heavily promoted and I thought it would do better than this. Such a pity it took so long to get going.

8. David Knox November 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm -

wwenrl: I think you need to subscribe to OzTAM?

9. vitieddie November 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm -

agree with deedee … dont find them as funny as the numbers suggest

10. Hoin November 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm -

I was a sceptic about H&A considering how their programs had stiffed on Seven and Ten but it seems Nine has created a silk purse from a sow’s ear. They also managed to resuscitate Big Brother after it limped off Ten unloved and bombing in the ratings. It seems the “Still the One” magic might be returning to the network after several lean years.

11. wwenrl November 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm -

Because I like all those shows! Thanks

12. wwenrl November 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm -

David. What did Southland, Strike Back, Can of Worms, Selling Houses Abroad and Paranormal Activity rate? Thanks

13. NicH November 12, 2012 at 11:37 am -

Caught a snippet of H&A. I really mean no disrespect to the boys, but I think its time that they grow up. I grow tired of their mindless ‘comedy’.

Loving Homeland, although a double episode is hard to sit through.

14. gusty November 12, 2012 at 11:31 am -

For a movie that ran until almost midnight, I think 535,000 is a good figure for The Social Network personally…

15. David Knox November 12, 2012 at 11:25 am -

They count them every week, but there are issues on how much can be reported. I am still working on this.

16. LeoG November 12, 2012 at 11:20 am -

When are they going to start counting consolidated figures? I believe it would improve the likes of TEN significantly.

17. Dr_Rudi November 12, 2012 at 11:19 am -

Not that I watched H&A or BB, however I did note that H&A managed to push 60 Minutes back half an hour in the schedule, which I don’t think BB did on Nine.

Enjoyed Palin’s Brazil, but we did seem to cover a fair slice of territory in episode 1.

18. Josh777 November 12, 2012 at 11:10 am -

Brilliant numbers for Homeland. If only Merlin would get up to 600k and if Vegas pulled the numbers Homeland got last night then TEN would kill Sunday nights in demos.

19. deedeedragons November 12, 2012 at 11:08 am -

I still don’t get why people find these two clowns funny.