Matt White quits Today Tonight

By David Knox on November 30, 2012 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 30

Presenter Matt White has quit Today Tonight, further fuelling speculation the public affairs show is to be replaced in 2013.

“That is my last ever show in the TT chair,” he told viewers. “After a great four years, watch this space in 2013.”

“I’ve always prided myself on being versatile, and hosting Today Tonight allowed me to see a different side of television under the spotlight of 6.30. It’s been a lot of fun, a lot of hard work and I have worked with a terrific and dedicated team. Bring on the V8 Supercars this weekend, and then a holiday. Then, it’s time to play somewhere else – so watch this space.”

Seven’s Head of News and Public Affairs Peter Meakin, who announced his own retirement this week, said: “Matt has done a wonderful job on Today Tonight. He is a charming and unflappable host and one of the best live performers in the country, as he proved with Chris Bath in our coverage of the royal wedding. He is equally at home in sport, news or public affairs and he’s as decent a bloke as he is versatile.”

Tim Worner, CEO of the Seven Network, added: “Matt has done an outstanding job as host of Today Tonight. I want to thank him for his unstinting dedication to the cause and the passion that he puts into everything he does for Seven.”

Industry chatter has speculated that Seven may replace Today Tonight next year, recently advertising for reporters, producers and researchers around the country.

1. Ann December 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm -

TT and ACA needs a major overhaul, cannot come soon enough

2. Steele December 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm -

Hinch!
    iLoveGreenGuideLetters.com

3. Jason Jones December 1, 2012 at 6:36 pm -

Could Derryn Hinch do a come back with Hinch!!!!? I am just saying.

4. steviep December 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm -

Also Koshe made it very clear he is not moving back to Adelaide. He will fly there to board meetings and alot of other new board members are from the east coast too

5. steviep December 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm -

one guy resigns and all of the sudden 7 news is moving to an hour and TT to 7pm. TT is a highly profitable and high rating show 12 months a year there is little to no chance its going anywhere. Never read more crap in my life.

6. SpaceCowboy23 December 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm -

Well Kochie’s recently signed on to become President of Port Adelaide Football Club so I’d assume he’d be moving back to Adelaide thus leaving the Sunrise co-hosting position open.

7. TVScene December 1, 2012 at 11:01 am -

My prediction is that Matt White will replace Kochie and try and get Sunrise back on top. I seem to recall reading that Melissa Doyle had re-signed with Sunrise, but haven’t heard about Kochie renewing. All speculation of course.

With the rate that Seven is hiring journos around the country, I wouldn’t be surprised if Seven News was extended to an hour next year 6pm-7pm and included some of the current TT fare mixed into it.

8. Darcey09 December 1, 2012 at 10:40 am -

@ J Bar, Why would Seven produce a show like the Project, given that the Project is a (ratings) failure?

9. shmahoo December 1, 2012 at 9:28 am -

I’m pretty sure he’s moving to channel 10 (sort of), to be the back half of Secretariat on the Craig Ferguson show.

10. alex December 1, 2012 at 12:59 am -

Thank goodness he’s gone, he totally didn’t suit the show and spoilt it outright. Last thing TT needed was to have a sports presenter as host. Big turn off for me. Someone a bit more serious like the female hosts before him would have been much better.

11. jonasboi December 1, 2012 at 12:49 am -

He is replacing Kochie on sunrise who is retiring from television

12. William December 1, 2012 at 12:39 am -

@Lee-Roy Matt White won’t commentate on V8s if TEN wins the rights. They have already got Rusty and Beattie, Crompo,Larko, Skaifey will go to TEN

13. Guy November 30, 2012 at 11:44 pm -

I bet you he is hosting Celebrity Splash or maybe he is the new host for The Mole? He is a very good talent deserves to get a great project. I guess we will see in due course but if this means the end of Today Tonight then Hallelujah. The show is one of the worst shows on TV alongside A Current Affair.

14. jimbo k November 30, 2012 at 11:37 pm -

i didn’t like watching Matthew White on Today Tonight, so it’s no loss for me. I still see him as a sports host. I hope that he will be doing more sports duties in 2013.

15. Bruce Banner November 30, 2012 at 11:22 pm -

Matt White is great, never saw him on TT as we get our own version in Adelaide, but I hope whatever he does next is aired nationally.

16. deedeedragons November 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm -

If TT is dead, best Christmas present ever! What could be worse?

17. J Bar November 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm -

A panel style show like The Project coming to 7 in 2013.

18. brenton November 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm -

I have no doubt Seven News will remain as a 30 minute 6pm bulletin and Home And Away will stay at 7pm. What they do with the 6:30pm timeslot is anyones guess. A one hour bulletin won’t happen because it just wouldn’t fit with the schedules of regional cities especially in QLD.

19. catherine November 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm -

He is always great on sunrise with Mel. I really enjoy watching him on sunrise. I like Kochie to but if he ever left Matt would be the perfect replacement.

20. michaelOz November 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm -

““It’s time for me to take on other challenges at Seven and continue pursuing my number one love – live television,” he later said in a statement.”

What?

TT isn’t done live every night?

21. Secret Squirrel November 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm -

I can only assume that in that time being on TT must have completely eaten his soul away. Hopefully he can find something to do that will allow him to get some self-respect back.

He’s passable on V8 Supercars but really, three’s a crowd and it would be better with just Neil as host and Mark as co-host.

22. nik c November 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm -

Matt’s passion has always been sport! I think 4 years was a good effort!
    Hope the ‘new’ show is more current affair and less trashy!
    Would be great if they overhaul Sunrise too :)

23. Lee-Roy November 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm -

A return to commentating the V8 Supercars maybe?

24. craigj77 November 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm -

If sevens media release made no reference to the shows future or replacement host then I think we can assume it won’t be around come February. What a glorious day for TV in Australia it will be when this awful excuse for a current affairs program is binned!

25. AndrewG November 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm -

If I was a gambling man, I would bet that Derryn Hinch would be hosting a show in that timeslot…watch this space.

26. Bullswool November 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm -

Maybe he will replace Kochie on Sunrise

27. The Other Adam November 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm -

Matt was way too good for TT
    Hope it’s replaced with something watchable

28. GuanoLad November 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm -

2012, the year Australian TV imploded.

29. ryano November 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm -

I think 7 News is going to be 1 hour in 2013, pushing Today Tonight to 7pm and H&A to 7.30pm
    TT could see all state based news readers as well. (Thats what I would do anyway)

30. Fitzah November 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm -

Huh? Whats going on?? Hopefully Matt finds another high job at the network because he is a great talent.