Stephanie Rice joins Today

By David Knox on January 24, 2013 / Filed Under News 12

2013-01-24_0141Olympic swimmer Stephanie Rice, once a Seven personality, has joined Today as a health and fitness reporter.

Executive producer Neil Breen said: “We couldn’t be happier to have Steph come on board as a member of the Today family. She will be terrific for us and the network.

“It’s not every day you have a multiple Olympic gold medallist join your team.

“And I don’t think the early mornings will be a problem for her after years in the pool.”

Rice was lucratively signed by Seven after the Beijing games, but there were few on-going roles at the time.

Source: Daily Telegraph

1. jwmcd January 26, 2013 at 1:02 am -

@ricoz.”Real reporting” on “Today” are you a professional comedian?…..

2. Sarah H January 25, 2013 at 10:15 am -

i give it 2 months before she does herself out of the role by running her mouth on social media

3. whatthewhat January 24, 2013 at 3:27 pm -

“It’s not every day you have a multiple Olympic gold medallist join your team.” And it’s becoming increasingly rare that you have an educated journalist joining a news department.

4. cnrmlj January 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm -

Wow. 1 more reason not to watch today.

5. PJs Ronin January 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm -

Let me see… eddy mcguire, ray hadley or Steph Rice commentating on peripheral issues… geee, tough one that. Ok, arm twisted, I’ll take Rice.

6. ticky January 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm -

“Not sure what a health and fitness reporter will do”

Stand around, look pretty, read from the autocue.

7. deedeedragons January 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm -

Ugh. Can’t stand people who throw around the F word.

8. Erin January 24, 2013 at 10:50 am -

I’m not a huge fan however, congratulations to her for getting a gig.

With Karl and Lisa gone for so long and the show basically consisting of out of date grainy you tube videos – I have found myself drifting over to Sunrise. Something as a loyal Karl and Lisa fan I never thought I would do. .

9. ricoz January 24, 2013 at 9:25 am -

Health and fitness reporter?? They should be putting the money towards real reporting!

10. Archer January 24, 2013 at 9:03 am -

Well why wouldn’t you sign her up after a stellar career at Ch 7. Something’s bound to pop up on social media sooner or later to derail this latest career move.

11. J Bar January 24, 2013 at 8:59 am -

Nine keep signing these people who tend to attract controversy.

12. Sifter January 24, 2013 at 8:49 am -

Glad Steph is getting some work – she got royally screwed over by the high horsed moral police after her tweeting of a couple of years back. Not sure what a health and fitness reporter will do…but I’ll give it a watch.