Packed to the Rafters has “an ending of sorts”

By David Knox on April 11, 2013 / Filed Under News 22

2013-04-11_0049EXCLUSIVE: Seven is yet to make a decision on whether Packed to the Rafters will go back before the cameras, with the cast having filmed an episode that could serve as its finale.

“We’re not filming at the moment but the official line is a decision has not yet been made,” Erik Thomson told TV Tonight.

“That’s the official line, so read between it if you will.”

He said the production has “an ending of sorts” that could effectively be the finale if the network decides not to produce a seventh season.

“We’ve reached a conclusion that could be the end. There are talks that it might continue in a different format, telemovies or miniseries or whatever,” he said.

“I don’t think the franchise is necessarily dead but the series, as it stands, looks like it might have resolved.

“It’s sort of in the hands of the network at this stage.”

Next week Seven airs Episode 22 of Season 5 but rolls straight into Season 6 a week later.

“We’ve done 122 episodes, we’ve had 6 series with 5×22 and 1×12 episode series. It’s been really successful and you want to carry on knowing you can maintain that success. That’s a lot of hours of television for what is quite a high quality drama.

“A lot of stories have been told, a lot of people have come and gone. Whether we can continue to do that and still hold our heads up high, I’m not sure.

“But that’s in someone else’s hands.”

Seven’s drama slate is hardly lean with Home & Away, Winners & Losers, A Place to Call Home and Never Tear Us Apart: The Untold Story of INXS.

Meanwhile Thomson is filming The Broken Shore for ABC1, playing Inspector Villani of Irish-Italian descent.

The Broken Shore is a telemovie with the ABC and it’s very exciting. I’ve only had one day’s work on it but I have a few more coming up at the end of the month.

“It’s a great cast in a dark, Aussie thriller based on a Peter Temple book of the same name, shooting in Melbourne and Port Fairy.’

“I’m an actor in Australia so I’m able to do anything really,” he said.

Packed to the Rafters airs 8:30pm Tuesdays on Seven.

1. carolemorrissey April 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm -

I like the sound of that ending Mr Darcy, I like things to end happily and be tied in nicely. They did a similar thing with the finale of 6 Feet Under, I really liked how they went into the future and showed how they all ended up. Desperate Housewives did something similar.

2. mr darcy April 12, 2013 at 8:10 am -

Too often, we’re delivered high quality shows that run until their last breath with a weary cast and lazy scripts/story arcs. Rafters has been a rare and most welcome return to the dramas of old. Constantly fresh and despite the loss of key characters it still manages to pull the numbers. However, I too find that there is a “wrapping up” sense – though as we’re still in S05 it seems pre emptive. This “ending of sorts” while convenient for the producers may not be the best out. I’d like to see it resolve completely and tie up with a spectacular finish akin to Jude McGrath’s scene in the final All Saints. A closed door. Perhaps it could be the Rafters house for sale and a montage of the characters we’ve grown to love. Rachel in NY, Ben and Nathan in distant destinations etc…all elegantly done with a final voice over from Julie Rafter years into the future as she finishes her last chapter in a book and the final shot is of her closing her book with a grown up Ruby. It’s early for me so I’m just thinking aloud but I hope 7 realise the investment that their audience has maintained and given them many high ratings. It would just be a real class act to give the Rafters viewers a decent and final bow out not an “ending of sorts”.

3. sb130 April 12, 2013 at 4:45 am -

Erik is the one who’s been gunning to leaeve the show, I could easily see the series continuing with a dead Dave Rafter.

4. sb130 April 12, 2013 at 4:44 am -

Erik is the one who’s been gunning to leave the show, I could easily see the series continuing with a dead Dave Rafter.

5. alvar April 11, 2013 at 7:45 pm -

I know I am in the minority, but I am still thoroughly enjoying the Rafters. I only started watching the show in the past few months and was prepared for disappointment following the departure of the Rafter children. However I was pleasantly surprised. Season 5 has had some very engaging storylines and the new talent – namely Retta, Emma, Coby and Frankie – are fantastic.

I would love to see the show go on longer, but it does feel as though Season 6 is gearing up to be the show’s last with the return of the original cast members. That line about “no official decision” being made does feel awfully similar to City Homicide not receiving a formal cancellation some years ago. The ratings have understandably dropped, but Seven’s scheduling has definitely not helped.

6. catherine April 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm -

Well I for one will be disappointed if its the end. I think other networks would love to have a drama series for 6 seasons that rates so well every episode.

I love this show and this season has been really good with teds storyline and coby and frankie. I like how they have included stories around the other characters.

Channel 7 has always done well at 8:30 on a tuesday. I love winners and Losers but im not sure that will be a consistent winner for them.

But Tim Warner will probably axe it as he has done with several other aussie dramas.

7. DOGES33 April 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm -

As I get into blue heelers and all saints they get axed now I get in to pack to rafters they want to ax the show what the world getting into

8. q12321 April 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm -

Carta they finished filming in December.

9. Erik1981 April 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm -

Rafters will end i’m sure of it, there isn’t much they can do with the show, unless they bring it more people but i doubt that will ever happen, so this weeks episode is the final for season 5 then shaight onto the final season, will sad seeing it disappear from TV, it did have a good run.

10. Carta April 11, 2013 at 11:46 am -

I don’t think “Winners and Losers” has been as popular as Seven had hoped it would be. They’d be scratching their heads over the complete lack of Logie nominations in the “Popular” categories. David – when did they finish filming Season 6 of PTTR? I know the actors were really unhappy about the way they dealt with the series last year (showing half a season then showing WAL etc. etc.).

11. ryan1890 April 11, 2013 at 11:14 am -

I agree with most of the people here who say Rafters should essentially quit while it is still ahead. I don’t want to see it go the way of Blue Heelers and be relegated to a Saturday death slot. It has had a stellar run and I could understand if the network was anxious about letting it go. However sometimes it is better for the overall drama brand at the network to have shows bow out while they are still relatively popular.

12. Mr. J April 11, 2013 at 10:37 am -

could it all come down to how a place to call home goes? that show look expensive and the funds would have to come from somewhere.

13. tvf April 11, 2013 at 10:34 am -

The way that packed to the rafters is progressing it feels like its coming to an end anyway. This is a good thing because if they decide to end it then it should be done properly.

14. Tracey B April 11, 2013 at 10:12 am -

I think Seven should be applauded for letting the show go out on a high, if that’s indeed what they are doing.

15. Mr. J April 11, 2013 at 8:57 am -

6 months ago i was saying yes, axe it. but i think it has transformed itself well into a show that could continue for atleast another season.

i do hope we get an epilogue ending though, i’d really like to see where julie and dave end up.

16. TasTVcameraman April 11, 2013 at 8:49 am -

Bazza ..excellent comment…maybe around 8.30 would be better to say with closer to 9.00

17. q12321 April 11, 2013 at 8:34 am -

it probably better to end it now rather to end up losing its quality and decrease in its ratings like other shows had.

18. Darcey09 April 11, 2013 at 8:31 am -

I agree with PDA. It still rates higher than any other Australian weekly drama series like House Husbands,Offspring,etc.

19. carolemorrissey April 11, 2013 at 8:26 am -

If it is the final, it’s had a good run. At least they have the foresight to end it properly if it is finished. Nothing worse than shows ending with cliffhangers, then getting axed. The least they can do is tie everything up.

20. PDA April 11, 2013 at 7:36 am -

Given the consistent quality and ratings this show produces I can’t believe 7 isn’t jumping at another season.

21. Craig April 11, 2013 at 7:35 am -

I just hope we don’t end up with a situation like Always Greener where ch7 renews the show they cancels.

22. Bazza April 11, 2013 at 6:53 am -

“Packed to the Rafters airs 8:30pm Tuesdays on Seven.”
    Not in living memory it hasn’t…