TEN to Wake Up with “Tash, Tarsh & Matho”

By David Knox on July 18, 2013 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 48

WakeUp 018Natarsha Belling, Natasha Exelby and James Mathison will front TEN’s return to breakfast television in the Adam Boland-produced Wake Up.

They will broadcast weekdays from Queenscliff Surf Club at Manly Beach with Nuala Hafner reading News from a Melbourne CBD glass-studio location, which is yet to be announced.

As yet there is no launch date for the new TEN venture and broadcast times are yet to be confirmed but Boland indicated block programming from “about 5 in the morning until midday.”

The new line-up was presented at a Press Conference earlier today at the Sebel in Sydney ahead of TEN’s Winter Party event tonight. No announcements were made for the untitled morning show programme featuring Ita Buttrose and Joe Hildebrand. More presenters are yet to be announced.

“If you picture Sunrise and Today as AM Radio, how do you do an FM Version on TV? That was the starting point but it has evolved somewhat since then,” he said.

“Essentially you’re looking at the same show across both channels.

“From our point of view we wanted to be intentionally different.

“There’s something about a beach that just puts you in the right frame of mind.

“From the moment we walked in we knew we had the right place. You get these extraordinary panoramic views down the headlands, and think about, at that time of morning you have your fitness freaks, yoga classes, surfers who will be catching waves. So that becomes our live set every single morning.”

Boland says his team of three females and one male was based not on gender but their chemistry.

“Chemistry is everything in breakfast television. You only have to look at the last Breakfast show to work that out,” he said.

“We were really open-minded. We tried a variety of combinations: high-profile people, low-profile people, people from other networks, people from our own network, people from interstate.

“By the end of the first week it was pretty clear we were not going to be a double-header, a typical male / female show.

“We stumbled across something that was genuinely special.”

Boland says of Natarsha Belling and Natasha Exelby “One is married, one is single, one is a little bit conservative, the other is not. Together to me they are dynamite and they are mates.”

Wake Up is promising to have a looser feel than other breakfast shows, booking fewer guests, having concerts at Manly and drawing upon social media through its 4 social media producers. The show has entered into “strategic partnerships with Twitter.”

TEN’s Head of News and Current Affairs Anthony Flannery adds, “Australia will find Wake Up fun, informative and different. We hope viewers will let us become party of their mornings, and enjoy the show as much as we will enjoy making it.”

Both Wake Up and the unannounced morning show will launch together this year.

1. advoc8 July 20, 2013 at 4:03 pm -

Here we go again, all the citycentricalist getting all hot and bothered about absolutely nothing, thinking that “All Of Australia” revolves around their own little world, and if it doesn’t, they are seeming not to be interested…. Well who cares where the hub of a programme is located, because it will live or die on its is content and more importantly the presenters.
    Where I liken the present lineup for “Wake Up” and “Untitled”??, to my childhood days of fighting my brother for the ‘Unknown” prize included in our breakfast cereal packets, and no matter what ever we found we enjoyed the anticipation of a surprise.

But after waiting in hope and anticipation of Ten’s new Breakfast and Untitled Morning packets, and now following the surprise effect of the respective hosts being mostly deflatingly revealed, I doubt I will even be tempted to even open Ten’s packets, and sample…

2. William July 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm -

It is not all done yet as they are revealing the next one on Sunday

3. Tarandoc July 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm -

Squareyes: Maybe you have a point. Perhaps once upon a time it did matter, but maybe things have moved on. I honestly don’t know.

4. mistaken July 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm -

@gregaus Tarsh Belling is regarded as the conservative one & the statement wasn’t referring to political views.

5. squareyes July 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm -

@Tarandoc
    The perceived provincialism works both ways.
    It is also felt that Sydneysiders prefer Sydney based productions.
    However, I sometimes wonder if it really is as important to viewers as TV executives think.

6. Tarandoc July 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm -

The perceived need to base a newsreader in Melbourne really does say something about the provincialism about Melburnians. I bet that Channel 10 will really try and push this angle in the Melbourne-specific publicity for the new show. It is all a bit lame and pathetic.

I mean, the people of second tier American cities don’t get upset that the national news and current affairs come out of New York, rather than, say, Philadelphia, Boston or wherever.

7. Maev....Sydney July 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm -

@ muscledude_oz….I do not know about Melb. folk….I find the Sunrise backdrop annoying…the NBC Today show also do it….and all those foolish people waving in the back ground…talking on their cell ‘phones…’look at me’….just awful!

8. mediamgt July 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm -

James Mathieson? God. Adam Boland’s lost it!

9. jonno July 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm -

Natasha Exelby is a star in the making. She really has it all but her personality is a standout. Her and Matho will be a hoot and with Tarsh and Nuala, I think Adam Boland has a hit on his hands. We now have a serious alternative. Sunrise and Today are both ok but I am finding them both a bit repetitive and tired looking which is totally understandable doing 3.5 hrs a day.

10. muscledude_oz July 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm -

Actually this might be a good idea, the news from a glass-fronted studio in Melbourne. I’ve often thought that people in Melbourne find Sunrise’s constant backdrop of Martin Place to be a turn-off. With the main location of Queenscliff surf club they will keep everybody in Sydney and Melbourne happy.

11. Annette July 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm -

adam bowland i think you have lost your midas touch too similar to the other breakfast shows.what a boring lineup. you really do need one host to be the stand out and in this group none are . all are capable but no one with the wow factor. some one like Kerrie anne kennerly should be in your line up.full of life and energy and bubbly thats what i would wake up to in the morning.will stick with sunrise love natalie samantha and melissa .

12. alvar July 19, 2013 at 11:09 am -

Love the idea of broadcasting from the beach. If they wanted to add another point of difference, they could go live across the country too.

13. AllanPo July 19, 2013 at 10:10 am -

Meh. Cheez TV would rate better.

14. buddha July 19, 2013 at 9:51 am -

Regarding the Sydney vs Melbourne thing, I think going to a beach is actually quite a clever and neutral move.

Apart from the relaxed informality of beach life creating an instant point of difference to the city backdrop studio-based shows, it also suggests a younger and hence more vibrant approach all round.

Also consider that all Australian capital cities have city beaches and beach/surf culture, with the exception of Brisbane – which of course has the Gold & Sunshine Coasts.

15. squareyes July 19, 2013 at 9:50 am -

This sounds interesting. The beach backdrop is a fresh idea and much better than the Harvey Norman clearance centre set of Breakfast.
    As for Sydney vs Melbourne, I don’t think it will make a huge difference. The Circle was produced in Melbourne and was the best of the morning shows but was the lowest rating.
    At the moment I watch Today , but it is such a strictly formatted show. They could repeat Monday’s show all week and I wouldn’t know the difference. Hopefully Wake-Up will be more flexible and unpredictable.

16. PJs Ronin July 19, 2013 at 9:40 am -

“From our point of view we wanted to be intentionally different.”

Lemme see. Four people on early morning television, sitting at a desk or on a couch or even walking the beach, talking about things that either have no consequence or they know nothing about, with the occasional cross to the news desk. Yep, very original.

I still maintain that a 2 hour live feed from the Cat Haven’s Kitty Cam would be better.

17. Russell July 19, 2013 at 9:39 am -

5am-Midday is 7 hours.

Will it be something like

5am Ten News
    5.30am Wake Up
    9am Ita’s Show
    11.30am Ten News

18. jesicka309 July 19, 2013 at 9:20 am -

I read that as Tash, Trash and Matho…. :(

It sure is a tongue twister – surely one of the Tash/Tarsh could have gone as Nat instead? It’s a horrible typo waiting to happen.

19. CraigW July 19, 2013 at 8:47 am -

Maybe Wake Up is a working title? Surely an opportunity like the ‘My Private ItaJoe’ show to allow a comp on social media to create a more creative name. Also wonder if the Melb CBD studio for news might be at the Rialto? Would be a contrasting backdrop to the ‘main’ studio. Also feel like others that full production in Melb would make a clear point of difference.

20. mason July 19, 2013 at 8:45 am -

Fran Kelly on Radio National for me. Now that’s a breajfast show.

21. TasTVcameraman July 19, 2013 at 8:45 am -

Looking forward to it.

22. maxxdude July 19, 2013 at 8:38 am -

Natarsha Belling Yes the rest No. This will be full of inane chatter. The location is going to scream Sydneyto viewers so will be a turn off to other states.
    No Matt Doran is a big mistake as is the presence of James Mathison.

23. Bazza July 19, 2013 at 8:07 am -

oh dear… this is dead before it begins

24. Bullswool July 19, 2013 at 7:30 am -

One thing is for sure. Adam Boland knows how to select good chemistry.
    The key to sucsess of Ita’s morning program will not to recycle its content from this breakfast show, much like The Morning Show and Mornings.
    If both programs can provide seperate, entertaining, engaging and informative content, with a few points of difference to their rivals, they will work.
    If they do not work, but I think they will, Ten should consider itself done and dusted in Morning Television. These shows require a lot of investment and planning and you can only get it wrong so many times before the competition and the public begin to think you are foolish.
    My prediction is this show will get an audience of between 120-150,000 which is enough to satisfy its existance.
    Anything much less after a year or so on air would be embarassing for Ten and Adam Boland

25. ohdenny July 19, 2013 at 7:02 am -

I wish one of these would be in Melbourne.

26. Brekkie July 19, 2013 at 3:28 am -

Best of luck to them. Entertainment based breakfast TV is quite a rarity and much missed here in the UK, where The Big Breakfast broke the mould of note just breakfast TV but TV as a whole back in the 90s, and mornings just haven’t been the same since it was axed.

27. steve sydney July 19, 2013 at 3:13 am -

“Essentially you’re looking at the same show across both channels.”

That’s an interesting comment by Boland since he’s regarded as the main reason for success of one of them.

Or does he mean since he’s departure have the 2 shows morphed into the one?

28. ilovetv July 19, 2013 at 12:37 am -

I would give it a try.

29. glennc July 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm -

@Dr Rudi I’d have no trouble at all waking up to the delightful Miss Exelby either!!

30. trev July 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm -

I’m sorry, but anything that has James Mathison in it has no hope of being successful, the guy’s hopeless.

31. Dr_Rudi July 18, 2013 at 10:59 pm -

Well, someone has to say it. I’d love to wake up to Natarsha Belling.

32. GuanoLad July 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm -

“Tash, Tarsh, and Matho” sounds like a Polish children’s schoolyard game.

33. deedeedragons July 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm -

Oh please. If Today & Sunrise are AM, Wake Up will be the radio station i used to help run at high school.

34. jonno July 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm -

Really love all the hosts but not the name. Welcome to “wake up” just doesn’t grab me. No flow to it. If the show dies, there will be lots of wake jokes.
    Wonder if Today will continue with “Wake Up with Today”. Wonder if Wake Up will go with “Wake Up” with Wake Up”. My tip is that the show will work.

35. Benji77 July 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm -

Please, please, please let this work for Ten. I had high hopes for Breakfast and was bitterly disappointing.

I do quite both Tarsh and Tash… I hope they challenge each other every now and then.

36. Brenton22 July 18, 2013 at 9:48 pm -

It will be interesting to see how the Melbourne audience respond to a Sydney Beach front? Hence the reason why they are basing the news presenter in Melbourne…

37. swimj July 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm -

If they want to be different they should base it all in Melbourne. I’m a fan of Nuala Hafner. Overall I’m looking forward to this!

38. Sacs July 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm -

With a title like that, I was expecting Jeff from The Wiggles to be the host.

39. GG July 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm -

Time will tell.

40. craigj77 July 18, 2013 at 9:25 pm -

I knew Boland would be all over Exelby after the giggling fit a few weeks back. Lol!
    Look, I’m not sure about this, I can’t help but think it needs a big name to get the punters in.
    Hopefully ten let Boland do what he did at seven and just leave him there and see if the show grows. It can’t do any worse than their last foray into breakfast.

41. kushkook July 18, 2013 at 9:11 pm -

This sounds good! I love Nuala Hafner, so I’ll definitely be watching.

Today is horrid and now that Mel has been given the boot from Sunrise, I really don’t want to watch.

42. NicH July 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm -

Why read the news from a separate location? Weird

43. gregaus July 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm -

Ten calling Natasha Exelby “a little bit conservative” is hugely undermining just how right wing she has consistently proven to be. She is Australia’s very own Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

44. oztvheritage July 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm -

A great choice with the two girls. James might grow on me. I like the Syd / Melb link. Good they are trying to be different. Well done Ten….sounds like its definitely worth a a try. 5am to midday – Wow. Hopefully this works and ten can build some success off it into prime time.

45. ryan July 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm -

Sound interesting. Bring in on I say.

46. Lucy July 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm -

1st mistake Adam Boland has made is basing the show in Sydney Again. It should be based in Melbourne.

47. Bella July 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm -

It sounds like a good format, but I can never sit through a breakfast show.
    Tash and Tarsh maybe a bit of a challenge to get right.

48. nevothirty July 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm -

Looks interesting. not sure about James though, but at least it has a younger feel to it. a surf club? sounds more like an episode of Home And Away.

I’m guessing Joe Hilderbrands morning show will be titled Nap time?