Soft debut for Recipe to Riches

By David Knox on August 28, 2013 / Filed Under News 23

2013-08-28_0955_001Last night’s schedules were heavily impacted by the breaking news of the Essendon AFL saga, with some cities having Live press conferences interrupting their viewing meaning Preliminary ratings results don’t yet reflect what actually went to air.

In Nine’s case they even aired a special Footy Classified at 10pm, delaying Big Brother Late Night Feast until almost 11pm in some cities.

The news broke while TEN was busy launching Recipe to Riches at 8:30pm, which may explain in part why it could only manage 616,000 viewers, less than the 646,000 who watched Under the Dome at 9:30pm.

Seven network won the night with 29.9% then Nine 26.6%, TEN 20.5%, ABC 18.3% and SBS 4.7%.

Nine News topped the night with 1.28m for Nine then A Current Affair (1.04m). In preliminary figures the rest of Nine’s numbers were Big Brother (838,000), The Great Australian Bakeoff (760,000), Hot Seat (622,000) and BB Late Night Feast (565,000) -expect those numbers to be rewritten.

Seven News (1.19m) topped Seven then Cosentino (1.02m), Winners and Losers (1.00m), Home and Away (975,000), Today Tonight struggled on 946,000, Deal or No Deal (453,000) and Movie: The 40 Year Old Virgin (353,000).

MasterChef was best for TEN with 814,000. Under The Dome was 646,000, TEN News was 626,000, Recipe to Riches was 616,000, The Project was 566,000 and The Simpsons was 290,000.

ABC News (940,000) led ABC1 followed by New Tricks (829,000), 7:30 (766,000), Foreign Correspondent (621,000), At the Movies (479,000) and Country House Rescue (229,000).

On SBS ONE it was Who Do You Think You Are? (211,000), World News Australia (190,000), Insight (187,000) and Dateline (155,000).

The Big Bang Theory (339,000) topped multichannels.

Nine Afternoon News: 211,000
Seven News at 4: 198,000

OzTAM Overnights: Tuesday 27 August 2013

1. Eliot August 28, 2013 at 6:49 pm -

Will Under The Dome rise next week back up to its usual standards? That should be TEN’s main worry atm. Their strongest import can’t die on them now.

I’m from the UK, and UTD is screening on 5 over here and I’m really enjoying it. Here’s the ratings from 5 if anyone’s interested.

The first episode was scheduled how TEN tried to launch Renovators off of the back of a MasterChef Finale; it ran in a Big Brother Finale sandwich. And it paid off remarkably because of the fantastic ‘Secrets and Lies’ theme of UK BB we had this year…

Monday 19 August 2013
    9pm: Big Brother The Final: 1.99m (9.1%)
    *Up on last year, which took 1.5m (6.9%) as just one show.
    *Series average; 1.9 million (time shifted), up on 1.6 million last year.
    10pm: Premiere – Under The Dome: 1.84m (10.7%)
    *Highest US drama debut since Law and Order Criminal Intent in 2004 including time shift…

2. Jock August 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm -

Recipes to Riches would have been vastly better had they cut the ‘Batch Up’ segment out and spent the time developing the third concept and showing us more products at the beginning.

It’s going to bomb in the existing format. I like the comment that says its both too slow and too fast.

3. hotgoat August 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm -

$6 a packet of 10, to me that is overcosted for what the product is. At that price you expect of froxen meal, even some diet meals don’t cost that much. Should have been around $3.5-4.00.

Even if the winner gets 20 cent from each packet sold, she could easily make a million from it during this week of sales.

4. eastwest101 August 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm -

If its alright with Wooloworths I might try to watch Under the Dome next week if that’s not too much of a problem for the public relations department of Wooloworths?

Maybe Ten’s programmers should call the White House and ask them to not commence hostilities in Syria on the 3rd Sept at 7:30pm????

5. Hampster August 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm -

Soft & Soggy !

I suspect a bit of pressure on management this time.

6. tomothyd August 28, 2013 at 12:24 pm -

Who cares about Essendon, its just football, its not important, just a televised hobby.
    Recipe to Riches was quiet good, I enjoyed watching it (on time slip to FF the commercials). I found the first segment handing out the golden tickets to be irritating/lame/cheap but the rest of the show picked up and I was hoping Concetta’s recipe would be the winner for this week.

7. Qubec August 28, 2013 at 11:47 am -

And Ten still don’t learn from their mistakes. Be consistent or don’t bother.
    Recipe to Riches was extremely well made. It looked completely different to every other cloned reality series on Australian television and had a bit of quirk and fun about it. The concept was good, but it could have done with a little more punch.

8. Jennome August 28, 2013 at 11:42 am -

I rather enjoyed R to R, it moved apace and the people were interesting. I have no interest in Under the Dome (gave up after the first ep), so I don’t care where they move it.

One thing which did grate on TEN last night was the mass scheduling of Budget insurance commercials, sometimes 2 in the one break. These commercials are appalling, what on earth do those funny white things washing their (non) hair have to do with insurance? And why all the fake French pronunciations – again nothing to do with insurance. Rate #1 for irritation factor.

9. AEDDIE August 28, 2013 at 11:20 am -

I thought Recipes to Riches was pretty good and hopefully it will do better when it’s on at 7:30pm next Tuesday. I can’t wait to see what product wins next week.

10. NicH August 28, 2013 at 11:18 am -

Essen-what?

SBS 2 were showing Parks and Recreation. I hope this means SBS will show future new episodes from now on, I can’t stand Sevens craptastic programming.

11. Josh777 August 28, 2013 at 11:18 am -

@ Pertinax – thank you for correcting my mistake. It is still a drop of 200k which is fairly substantial given TEN’s numbers (if it was Seven or Nine 200k wouldn’t really matter).

12. jezza the first original one August 28, 2013 at 11:03 am -

This was all so predictable, you only need to look at the comments when this very poorly planned scheduling on a food store’s behalf was first announced. Huge fail all round really

13. alvar August 28, 2013 at 10:57 am -

Bumping Under the Dome was probably a costly mistake. Ten really need to move away from reality if they want to improve, that market is now catered for by Seven and Nine. And why aren’t they using Sundays MasterChef finale to launch a new program?

14. 2paw August 28, 2013 at 10:56 am -

I watched it with high hopes, but I was a bit bored too. Maybe next week will be better??

15. tricks August 28, 2013 at 10:55 am -

Did anyone else catch an ad for constipation relief during Recipe to Riches?

I thought the timing was hilarious..

16. Darcey09 August 28, 2013 at 10:48 am -

What Essendon AFL saga?

17. Pertinax August 28, 2013 at 10:47 am -

@Josh777
    Under The Dome was 840k last week, not over 1m.

18. bktv August 28, 2013 at 10:37 am -

Firstly: Recipe to Riches, boring show. I kept waiting for an interesting bit… somehow it moved too fast and too slow!

Secondly: I assume Woolworths demanded a bit of the Masterchef pie when they negotiated with channel ten. e.g. “Premier Episode must be scheduled directly after an episode of Masterchef”… Hence the “for one week only Under the Dome has moved” rubbish.

Thirdly: What Essendon AFL saga? No… wait… I don’t care.

19. Jason August 28, 2013 at 10:35 am -

I may have just been lucky but I didn’t see any TEN programs interrupted or delayed in NSW by whatever the Essendon thing was. My tweens were watching the Recipe thing by default, waiting for Under the Dome.

20. Pertinax August 28, 2013 at 10:20 am -

Ten may have been caught out by events, but if they had stuck with their regular line up and just trusted RtR to launch next Tuesday this wouldn’t have happened.

Looking at the figures for Sydney, where people don’t care if the 9th ranked AFL team is banned from the finals.

Masterchef did a bit worse than last week and didn’t provide much of a lead-in. Recipe to Riches was beaten by the final of Bake-off (as you would expect) and thrashed by Cosentino (assuming that’s what was on).

On the bright side UTD only lost 20k viewers in Sydney from being bumped back to 9:30pm but it was down 50k in Brisbane, and a lot more in the AFL states. Many may have recorded it, we shall see the real affect next week.

21. smit0847 August 28, 2013 at 10:17 am -

@paddock boy – its because Australian TV networks have no respect for their viewers and would rather tell their viewers what they should watch and when, rather than considering what their viewers would actually want to watch, and when.
    One of the many reasons so many people have given up on FTA TV and find quality shows elsewhere tp watch at a time convenient to them.

22. Josh777 August 28, 2013 at 10:11 am -

TEN was getting over a million viewers for Under the Dome when it was on at 8:30pm and now it’s in the 9:30pm slot it’s down by roughly 400k. Definitely a poor move, even if it did win its timeslot.

23. paddock boy August 28, 2013 at 10:03 am -

I actually thought recipe to riches wasn’t too bad, I liked the cameras they were using, It looked very different to most reality rubbish in the way it was shot and edited, anyone know what what the series was shot on? Thought all the corny music stings were just too silly, I didn’t think 10 year old’s were the target audience. Still a big mistake of Ten to bump Under the dome, even for a night, and have back to back cooking series…..I just don’t get it.