Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. wins Wednesday

By David Knox on October 3, 2013 / Filed Under News 20

2013-10-03_0907Seven’s strong week continued with new US drama Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. topping the night.

The action series averaged 1.3m viewers across two episodes -interestingly Seven chose not to divide the ratings numbers into two episodes which would have netted a higher debut, something of a rarity these days.

Despite not running with its promised Hostages debut Nine still managed to finish strong for the night, and TEN even slipped in front of the ABC.

Seven Network share was 30.9%, then Nine 28.1%, TEN 18.5%, ABC 17.9%% and SBS 4.7%.

Also for Seven were Seven News (1.13m), Home and Away (941,000) Today Tonight (932,000), Million Dollar Minute (508,000) and Men at Work (487,000 / 339,000).

Nine News (1.2m) and A Current Affair (965,000) won their timeslots for Nine then Big Brother (818,000), Hot Seat (585,000) and a Harry Potter movie (558,000).

TEN Eyewitness News (591,000) was best for TEN then The Bachelor Australia (585,000), The Project (555,000), Wonderland (543,000). The Simpsons was 328,000 and This Week Live lifted on last week but still struggled at 285,000.

ABC News (985,000) won its timeslot for ABC1. Gruen Planet was 784,000, 7:30 was 757,000, Julia Zemiro’s Home Delivery was 576,000, Tractor Monkeys was 476,000 and Adam Hills: The Last Leg was 406,000.

On SBS ONE it was The Man Eating Tigers of Sumatra (224,000), 24 Hours in Emergency (211,000), World News Australia (189,000) and Prisoners of War (95,000).

ABC2′s Florrie’s Dragons topped multichannels with 315,000.

Sunrise: 342,000
Today: 317,000
ABC News Breakfast: 60,000 / 39,000

OzTAM Overnights:  Thursday 2 October 2013

1. David Knox October 3, 2013 at 6:39 pm -

I don’t see anything scheduled at the moment. Most things get a rerun at some point but it may be a few months. It is at SBS On Demand so you may have to try a friend’s PC or their app on another device?

2. Dr_Rudi October 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm -

Hello David,

For good reason you have a dim view of these types of questions, and I will ask anyway.

I missed The Man Eating Tigers of Sumatra. I’ve checked the SBS website and it does not seem to be scheduled for a repeat on SBS2. Any info?

(SBS on demand just never works for me)

Thanks ever so.

3. dan October 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm -

Ok ten time to conceed defeat TWL is a dud it needs to be moved or axed

4. maxxdude October 3, 2013 at 3:11 pm -

SHIELD is the female friendly version of The Avengers. I wont be back for any more. Would like it to be more about superheroes than agents. There are already enough female agent shows about.

5. poida October 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm -

Big Brother was never intended as a ratings topper. It does great business in demos which allows it to promote the rest of its shows.

Just a couple of years ago they struggled to get anybody to notice new programs, much like Ten does now.

6. David Knox October 3, 2013 at 2:54 pm -

Sorry not much point in hypotheticals. Think you ought to wait for network confirmation.

7. HeyHey_Variety October 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm -

How about if Seven gets a new host for Deal next year?

8. vitieddie October 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm -

Go Gruen!

9. HeyHey_Variety October 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm -

Last year, the demographics were good for Nine’s first year revival of Big Brother. Now the trial is over and Nine should be focusing on total people more than demos.

If BB comes back next year, I hope it won’t be on at seven o’clock and Channel Nine will hopefully forget about being “Family friendly”.

10. Jennome October 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm -

SHIELD was pretty ordinary – the usual beautiful people bossing each other around, shouting unconvincing instructions; the usual American incomprehensible dialogue; women looking tough bristling with guns; explosions everywhere.

I had no idea what it was about.

11. harrypotter1994 October 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm -

Loved the references to Extremis (Iron Man 3) and the Tesseract (Thor) in Agents of Shield last night…

Meanwhile, what did Eleven do play a Marvel Movie (Iron Man 2) LOL

12. Pertinax October 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm -

Ten did well with Under The Dome, and the writing and directing were poor at times.

The Blacklist benefited from the promotion, lead-in and staggering from The X Factor, but still would have done well on Ten. If it had fallen in their lap through an output deal.

13. David Knox October 3, 2013 at 11:31 am -

Jumpjakflash: Nine will be happy with the demos and social media for BB. I would expect a renewal.

14. Sam1112 October 3, 2013 at 10:55 am -

The moment I saw Mark Mitchell on Fruit Unit (on TWL) I knew Con the Fruiterer was not far off. Good to see Ten stick with it, even if it is not the best show I enjoy it, rather them stick with some New Local Programming than replace it with some repeated international garbage.

15. Dodge October 3, 2013 at 10:39 am -

Funny to read “and TEN even slipped in front of the ABC”

16. roaringdave October 3, 2013 at 10:34 am -

People seem to watch Seven regardless of what is on…you know if SHIELD was on Ten it would have failed dismally…

17. emurray October 3, 2013 at 10:28 am -

Interestingly the episodes of shield were seperated on the foxtel epg

18. MuchoTB October 3, 2013 at 10:21 am -

Would be interesting to see the numbers for both episodes of SHIELD. I wonder if there was much of a decline

TWL needs to be axed already. Horrible lazy panel shows are not the key to Ten rising up out of their hole

19. Bogues October 3, 2013 at 10:11 am -

I’m surprised with the ABC1 figures. I thought they woild be higher. I watched ABC1 from 7pm until 11pm last night. Alas, no people meter in my house.

20. jumpjakflash October 3, 2013 at 10:02 am -

I find it amusing that 585,000 people chose to watch a 2.5 hour moving on TV, which would have made it a 3.5 hour sitting??

Wednesday Big Brother Evictions are a bad move if you ask me.

David, have you heard any whispers about Big Brother’s future? Back in 2014?